Monday, March 12, 2012

Tasty Cakes, Visiting Friends, T.V. Repair and Betty Hutton

Wednesday, March 12

Dear Andrew and John,

At noontime today Ann told me she got a letter from one or both of you in which you say you are leaving for Seoul on Monday, the 10th, so this will no doubt find you there. Time magazine last week -- I just saw it yesterday -- had a picture of the repair work going on there -- not much, just a few natives, but I will try to send it on with the article.

With regards to your banking Andrew, we will be glad to put anything you send us in the Catonsville National or wherever you say. Ann will see if they will take the old account book and reopen it or even if we have to get your signature on a card, the mails will do and, as I remember, they will open the account in the meantime. As I also told you, John's insurance check came but nothing yet for Andrew and I noticed an article in this morning's Sun where the two hundred and some millions in insurance premiums for men now in the service won't be mailed out till later in March. Still no word from Sam French which is good, I think. I believe I did tell you I tucked an envelope, self-addressed to you, John, at 25 Bloomsbury, and with first class postage, in the back cover of the manuscript and pasted a couple of stickers with your name and address inside the folder.

Thanks for the extra five for the beer, John, but Ann has given up liquid refreshment for Lent and she suggests we put it into the fund with the rest of the cash and all of us chip in and have a real feast when you get out. I will try to get a few more pictures to you and soon. I made out Mr. Kistner's income tax and bought a roll of Kodachrome 35 mm. As soon as everything, I mean everyone is clean enough at one time, I intend to run through the entire roll and I hope it is within the coming week. I guess I did tell you I still have the Polaroid. For the past two weeks they have been offering fresh dated film in New York, now down to 70c a roll which is quite a drop from the regular list of $1.75. I might run through a few rolls before I advertise it again, if I can get them.

Last Friday I wedged two Chocolate Tasty Cakes into a Ca-Ma-Sil can but it beat them up too badly and considering the time required in transit as they would have to go by parcel post, I gave up the idea; though they probably remain just as long on Tony's shelf. However, I did see something which I dispatched air mail yesterday and hope it arrives.

We decided Sunday morning to have Aunt Hannah out for the day so as soon as Arlene and I returned from church we all got dressed and took off because the telephone operator wouldn't give me the number at 1807 poplar Groves Street and I couldn't think of the name of the people (which turned out to be Kratz). We got there about 11:20 and I rang and rang but no answer. Downstairs only a dog was home. I'll have to drop in at the Hub and see her. By the way, there is no more Hub. It is now only The Hecht Company. They consolidated all their stores, accounts and everything and one ad serves for all their business establishments. On the way back from Aunt Hannah's we passed West Edmondale and saw they have a road of sorts in where Ellen and Gerry Bures live. We were there over an hour. I'm beginning to think more and more than Ellen is a bit of a sadist or whatever you call it. As we were ready to leave she said not before I fix a drink. Gerry said to remember only a drop for him. She put about three ounces in each glass and I observed thinks pretty clearly because I didn't want any, with driving and the kids. I made mention of Gerry's remark above for he has only to sniff the stuff and he's off as we and perhaps you noted on one occasion several years ago when we served him a thimble of Duff Gordon. Well, we were talking away and Gerry drank his down. A few minutes later Ellen handed him hers which she had on the side and he said that wasn't his, but she insisted and he finally downed that one two which gave him six ounces in about ten minutes. We left shortly afterward and his eyes were popping and glasses fogging after each hiccup.

Saturday I was real proud of myself. Dr. Sherrard cleaned my teeth at 9 a.m. and both he and Mrs. S. sent their regards. From 9:30 till 1:30 with the aid of a $7 add on to my Ward's account and an old pair of pliers, I put turn signals on the car and they work. It was 30° and I was purple but they say you don't mind it when you're doing something you want to do. As I was thawing out and Ann was making ready for the hairdresser, Mr. Bellis came in and begged the services of both me and the car. Becky had been put on the Edmondson Ave. car at one o'clock, to tell the motorman to let her off at North Bend, right at the Westway Theatre, and here it was 2 p.m. but she hadn't arrived at a girlfriend's party. We combed that section till almost three and finally found her getting off the car coming from town where the fellow had taken her to Charles and Lexington and back.

When the repair man came last Thursday to fix the TV Ann had the kids in the kitchen but one would escape now and then to watch. He evidently became nervous and thought it was a good idea to take the set in to the shop, which he did. We spent a quiet week-end and he brought it yesterday (Tuesday) at one. It looks swell and everything it tight and smooth once again and all knobs on. His last operation was to plug in the picture tuba and as he did, Ann says, it blew out with a roar, smoke and smell. He came back this morning with a brand new tube which Ann reports is much clearer and I will give my opinion when I get to see it. So, it should be in good condition on your return.

Aunt Alice, Penny Sue and her little Bill, spent yesterday from 11 to 4 with Ann, who, by the time I got home after six (Dr. didn't go till twenty-five of six) was very sorry for her Lenten pledge. I mentioned Aunt Alice because Ann got her views on the daffodils, which during the past week have grown another inch or so and a scaly-like film for approximately that same height out of the ground had cracked and come off. Aunt Alice says they are not going to bloom because they are unfertile or something, that by this time the shoot which bears the bloom should be coming up between the center stalks and there is no sign of anything, so we'll have to try another batch.

We have been in pretty good shape physically recently. I talked with Cousin Ann last Wednesday, I believe, and threw in the hint that it was a good idea to send some sweet stuff to you. There was a picture of Betty Hutton in the Sun last evening and her comment (or that of the studio) as she returned to this country that it was wonderful how the boys were being treated in Korea. No, I'm wrong, the dateline on this item was - Tokyo; but to go on, she raved about the food and said each of her party was at least five pounds to the good.


END OF LETTER

Editor's notes:
Sam French: publisher of Playbills and plays.
Aunt Hannah: former wife of Charles' Uncle.
Ellen and Gerry Bures: friends of the family
Mr. Bellis: next door neighbor

Next posting: 18 March

COPYRIGHT 2012 Stephen A Conner

No comments: