Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Heat Wave And A Stroke



Friday, June 27

Dear Andrew and John,

I'm glad your weather has been holding off and hope it continues to do so as you receive this but as I write this we're blistering in a heat wave that has killed four here in Baltimore in two days and in the same two days prostrated 232. All you hear morning till evening is the wail of sirens going after another pick up. Ann exaggerates a little when she says the entire city got off at noontime yesterday but all I know is that we did not. Also had to go to school last night and stood it till a quarter to nine when I told them to go home. It was an official 100° at 4:30 yesterday afternoon but the thermometer here at the office said 103°. That you can stand, but when it doesn't go below 86° during the night, you can't even breathe with our famed humidity much less sleep. Like today, right now at noontime, the gal says it's 95° and a relative humidity of 62%, which is terrible. They say out Denver way it's enjoyable with a 90° temperature and a humidity of about 15% or 20%. Just got a call from B. Herbert asking me to fill in for Mrs. B. tonight but I declined.

A little more on those pictures I sent, if you want to call them that. After I had mailed them I took the negatives out of the bag and found a white slip which said "roll received in damaged condition". So maybe it wasn't the two years but light leaks or something which spoiled them. I do know it looked all right to me when I left it down there.

Ann, of course, had to wash and iron in yesterday's heat and almost got a touch of it. She was hanging up clothes and started to get dizzy with cramps but made it in to lie on Michael's bed and took it a little easier for the rest of the day. She also had visitors from supper time till when I got home consisting of Kay and Ken with Dianne and Annie Clapsaddle and Vickie, who are staying at Harundale for the week.

On the house situation, nothing has changed toward prospects of Doctor's place being available anytime soon but Schatz's daughter called Ann to say she thought they were going to have definite word on a settlement within the next week. Last night one of the agent's dropped by to ask Ann if he could bring someone to look at the place on Monday. We also think that Cimlnos want both Bellis' and our place since after looking at Bellis' he brought Schatz down and no doubt questioned him about home. We learned, too that Ciminos own the land where Cladding's - the old blacksmith shop - is.

I stopped right here to call Ann as I do every noontime and she had some news to report--that Mickey's father, Monroe Tucker, had died at 11:30. I believe I mentioned a month or so ago that he was right bad off with heart trouble; it's all over now--a blood clot. Ann and Mrs. Bellis went over to see if they could do anything. I'm sure the heat helped things along.

I should have mentioned, just to make sure to receive them, that one Monday I finally got some flash bulbs off, one carton with 5 and another with just 2. Hope they arrive OK.


END OF LETTER

Editor's Notes:
Charles teaches business courses at night at the Baltimore Institute. B. Herbert Brown is the owner.
Charles works for Dr. Burton who has promised him the use of a larger house near his farms.
The Bellis' live next door at 23 Bloomsbury.
The family is selling the house in Catonsville.

Next Posting: June 30, 1952

Copyright 2012 Stephen A Conner

No comments: