Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Bad Battery and Good Reception


Thursday, October 2 1952

Dear Andrew and John,

Monday night on the way home from school, I was crossing North Avenue at Maryland Avenue in the car and the fellow in front of me thought he heard an ambulance or fire engine but it was several blocks over. He jammed on his brakes and I did likewise. There was no accident but I couldn't start the car so there I sat smack in the middle of North Avenue which is about an acre wide there at the market. Finally some nice fellow in an old Plymouth gave me a shove and it started OK. Got home all right, turned the motor off and started it again and it seemed fine. So, Tuesday morning I got up at 5:30 to go to the 6 o'clock Mass for Forty Hours and it wouldn't turn over. At 7:30 I got Richard to give me a push with the truck and I made the trip to the Auto Clinic without trouble. The battery had gone up. I ran it right over Wards and they made it good as I had a three year guarantee and bought it last November. All this and I was back in the office at 9:55.

The virus in Mommie's tummy got worse on Tuesday, continued into Wednesday and then stopped just as suddenly last night. Mike's case so far has been mild, just play a little while and then run for the bathroom. I'm sure it's not the water or anything. Doctor says it's airborn and when you go to the store you hear various ones complaining of the same thing.

I didn't see TV Monday or Tuesday nights but went up at 7:45 last night for Perry Como, then Godfrey and the Kraft Playhouse which you may have seen a year or so ago. New actors, Scott Forbes and Maria Riva in Michael and Mary. By the time you get home they'll be just coming around to all those you have missed. After Kraft the only thing on was rassling and the fights so before going to bed I tried a few channels and found Philadelphia clear and the sound excellent. Maybe it's only because of the good weather but I'll try it again some time. The Washington stations had a little snow but much clearer than Catonsville and the sound is good. So as I said before, we're going to wait to look around for a set. Mr. Lucas says they're so tight now and the prices are so stiff because of all the new stations coming into existence and they're making allocations of a dozen or so to dealers where they used to try to push carloads off on them.

Another bond came through from Catonsville yesterday for you, John. This one is dated August and is probably the last. Taking out the one we used last January for Virginia's friend on the play, the refrigerator, etc. you now have 9 in the box, I'm sure.

Ann received a letter from you yesterday, Andrew. The only thing I meant about text books was that through the school I thought maybe I could get for free or at wholesale anything you two would like that you may have discussed, seen or heard about in the service. I forgot to cut a piece out of Sunday's paper that I wanted to send you two. Johns Hopkins has been advertising their McCoy College division. Their first semester just started and this year includes about a dozen or maybe twenty subjects, listing the price of each and the length of time. For example, they had something on play writing, fifteen meetings of one hour each and total cost $12. There was also something on drama and the theater. Nothing was priced more than $15 and you can take as few as you care to.

We received a post card from Ann and Earl, somewhere in the South and a "see you in two weeks" closing. Ann still thinks Earl's father will talk them into staying down there with him; a couple of good subjects to practice his bone crushing on.

I've told you we're going to buy from now on at the Cloverdale Farm store but during the week, for odds and ends such as bread, cereals and soups, we dash down to Peterson's, beyond the church. Ann was pretty woosy Tuesday night but she went with me. To show you how the country people are, we bought three dollars and something worth of groceries and then, after she had run it down on the adding machine, I went over to the package goods part of the store for a carton of Pepsis which I paid for. We were all the way home when Ann opened her purse on the kitchen table and found she hadn't paid for the groceries. She went right to the 'phone and told the gal (wife of the owner) and this Mrs. Peterson said that when we went out the door of her store she had said to herself that she wasn't sure if we had paid but not to worry about it. I took them the cash last night.

Also on Tuesday night, I located the Wilson Methodist Church hall where we have to vote and signed a green slip to transfer our sheets from Catonsville to the new district and precinct as we are still in Baltimore County.

It's too bad you'll get home after the weather has grown colder as I want you to see the Pearce's corner plantation restaurant, as they call it. It's all on one floor right on the corner you see on your map and you eat on a wide porch that completely circles the building lighted by hundreds of all colored lights. I don't know what they do in the winter unless there's some way to close up this porch which I can't see right now. We haven't been there but Mrs. Baldwin told Ann the prices are low and the food pretty good but maybe that's by her standards.


END OF LETTER

Next Posting: October 7, 1952

Copyright 2012 Stephen A Conner

No comments: