Monday, February 20, 2012

A Sprained Ankle - What's Playing At The Hippodrome - And Wedding Preparations

Monday February 20, 1952

Dear Andrew and John,

I just got your new APO after sending Sunday's Times and a short note to you yesterday so you'll probably get this first. As I said, your letters are coming through very quickly; it takes just about a week, and in one case, Andrew's letter of Feb. 12 arrived on the 18th. I learned all this on the 'phone from Ann yesterday because Monday I had only fifteen minutes off for lunch and nothing for supper because Doctor stayed late and I was late for school; and I rolled into bed as soon as I got home. I also heard about and saw this morning the shoe Andrew gave Arlene. Ann tells me she got, that is, Arlene got Andrew's letter Monday and begged to put his enclosure toward a pair we were waiting till the first of the month to provide. So, everybody's happy and we've noticed that except for some time outs, clothes are beginning to take the place of comic books with her. Arlene may have written you; she came down on her ankle playing basketball again and was off it for two days, last Thursday and Friday, I think. She could hobble a little Saturday and Sunday and Monday it disappeared. You couldn't get your hands around it.

Before I forget it, if there's anything we can send you, please ask for it, if you think it will get through OK. I am anxious to see if you receive the medals I put in yesterday's note. I recall one of you said something about 616 film and I shipped out air mail today one roll to this new APO, so let's see what happens.

We haven't heard a thing from Sam French, John, which might be a good sign. We just got in a chart today of new rates for RCA radio telegrams all over the world and I see the Korea charge is low enough to send a sentence or so; but that's stupid because the address is California; or do you think if something should be sent to the APO address but paid to where you are, it would continue by radio telegraph. I doubt it.

We received your money order today, Andrew, and that takes care of both of you on the refrigerator. The overage on John's bond I am putting to the TV, which by the way is working fine but Ann had the fellow drop in last week just to check it over; he is going to return soon with the little springs for the knobs and says he will give it a tune up on general principles right in the home. And without any excuses, for once, I'm going to take your gift Andrew and next week (I hope) will take Mommie to dinner and perhaps a show. I think it's a pretty good time because Greatest Show on Earth opens at the Keith's today. I haven't looked at a local movie ad for sometime but I'm sure Meet Danny Wilson is in town and some other picture with Shelly Winters. The Hipp has sunk to new lows, playing double features like last week's The Hunchback of Notre Dame coupled with The Cat People. The movie industry, I presume, is advertising on TV with short subject or rather previews of coming attractions. All during January, at station break time, they have been giving about 45 seconds worth of Frederic March in Detective Story which I don't believe is anywhere yet.

Each day for the past several weeks as we passed Paradise, either in Abe's car or ours, Abe tells me Dolly was standing on the corner. Today, in Abe's car, I saw her but she wasn't looking. We'll have to give her a call; maybe tonight.

Ann is all pepped up on this Puddy wedding thing; feels she sort of initiated it. She saw a dress on sale in last Thursday's paper and had it sent out; wrong size, so Saturday morning I drove her in with Mike, Kathy and Stephen and around the block till she exchanged it. We got home and it was still the wrong size. Went back again that afternoon and Virginia rode with us (gave her the check, by the way) and this time success. Ann called Aunt Alice yesterday to see what we could give Pud (under five bucks) and was told she has everything. Five of her girl friends have given her showers besides all the gifts from relatives and there isn't a piece of electrical equipment or material she doesn't possess including seven electric clocks. We thought maybe a table cloth for her $300 table but she already has five. So our contribution is going to be a couple of sheets. You remember me telling you about Penny Sue's husband, Billy. His sister, Honey, is a registered nurse. She and Pud went to school together and started in nursing till Pud dropped out. She is married to a fellow who used to be a captain or something in the air corps but I believe he is out. Anyway, the story is she has a one year old baby and two weeks ago was sent back here to a T.B. hospital or maybe a year with her husband and babe in Pittsburgh. The doctor was treating her for a virus infection. That family is having its troubles, too.

Same old aches and pains still with us. The kids are fine in the day time but have that cough during the night. Ann's bursitis in her arm has been plaguing her but gets better when we talk of going out next week.

B. Herbert called here this noontime with a proposition to teach one night a week - Wednesday - at Bainbridge. He is starting a Class of 25 Navy men and for the 90 mile trip each week including teaching and toll bridge he is offering $10. I said no and besides I don't want 3 nights a week. His profit, as I figure it, should come to about $700 a month and he has no expense.

I only wish our letters were getting through with the same smoothness as your. Ann picked one out of our box on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday of last week; two on Monday and one on Tuesday this week. I almost forgot to tell you Bernard called about a week ago to say he had heard from you. Still no Times daily but the Sunday editions, if you get them, give a summary of a short.


END OF LETTER

Editor's notes:

The Keith is a movie theatre and the "Hipp" is the Hippodrome Theatre

Doctor (Burton): Charles' primary employer. Charles also was an evening instructor for the Baltimore Institute Business School.
Sam French: a publisher. John is an amateur playwright.
Dolly: Charles' cousin.
Aunt Alice: Ann's Aunt and Puddy's mother.
Pud - Puddy: Ann's cousin who is to be married.
Virginia: friend of John.
B Herbert (Brown): Head of the Baltimore Institute.
Bernard: friend of John's.

Next posting: February 26, 1952

Copyright 2012 Stephen A Conner

No comments: