Saturday, April 14, 2012

Migraines, The Promise of a House, and Easter Buckets



Monday, April 14, 1952

Dear Andrew and John,

We're all back in pretty good shape again until yesterday's reaction sits in on the little ones. Except for Kathy, though, they took it easy; and besides, we didn't give them much to work with. The baskets went to pieces last year and Ann picked up two large sand buckets and one medium sized one which, with little figures perched on the handles, lollipops tied to the shovel and the whole covered in colored cellophane, made its impression. Michael ate a few things here and there, Stevie sampled each of his, chewed it and spit it out but Kathy was thankful for the shovel to help put it away so Ann got out the Castoria before bedtime.

Ann will probably tell you some of this herself, but if she doesn't don't say anything about it. I finally got her to go to see Dr. Gallager last Tuesday because since Christmas she has been having terrific headaches and intense periods of depression. Lately, the headaches were so bad she would' be half nauseated--and they'd go as fast as they came. At first we thought the surroundings and problems with the kids and neighbors had something to do with it and I think, too, she was a little fearful of the indications. But the verdict is that she's anemic and has low blood pressure--110. Normal is approximately 100 plus your age. All through the pregnancies and between it was just right. She has had this once before, however, down Edgewood in 1944 when she gave a pint of blood and they had to give her two in return. The doctor is giving her iron and the situation is not too bad if it improves and I'll keep on it to see she follows orders. The headaches are thought to be migraine which may be what you have, Andrew, and do not have to be associated with anything else. The book says about 10,000,000 in the U.S. have migraine and strain and worry is a contributing factor. It's too early to see results but I'll let you know more later. I like to keep this out of my letters but I was sure you would want to know as we do about you two.

I had to work as usual on Good Friday but got off late in the afternoon. We skipped the feast Saturday noontime but did have sandwiches and a can of Old Export. Abe got his 1952 Wedgewood blue Plymouth and took Mike, Kathy and myself for a trip as far as Edmondson Village Saturday. Ann wanted to clean and with us out of the way it was a help. Besides, Virginia dropped in with a bag of her chocolate Easter eggs. Ann tells me she has mentioned the house in the country. I haven't because, knowing them I am dubious until I see something. Mrs. B. assures us she wants us to have it this summer and Ann is all pepped up. I have been going along and for her sake hope it develops but someone is living in the place right how--a couple with four kids and one on the way. I am sure they have been told but not given official or written notice and they can stay right there if they want to. It is also a heck of a daily trip of about 18 miles each way. There are a few assets such as a big fenced in play yard, close to church and, most impressive to you, a brand new $1000 bathroom. But I'll go along if things work out. It would take care of the present mortgage and I could give up school. On your part, it would be nice to come back with the price of a new car in the bank. Abe's is swell. It's a 1952 version of ours including four doors, turn signals, seat covers, radio, heater and foam cushions and cost him about $2,150 less a couple of hundred he got for his old one. I missed by a half day getting him a 1951 demonstrator the same color as ours for about $1,700. I'm glad it turned out this way in the event anything was wrong. I haven't heard from the Baltimore Transit yet and our bump is rusting around the edges.

Yesterday, Easter Sunday, was cloudy and rainy. I went to 9 o'clock mass with Arlene and at 8:40 when we got there, I couldn't get a seat--had to go up the hall. If you haven't seen the chapel there, the entrance is on the left side of the front door at ground level. I should say it holds 200 with a skip and a jump between the seat and padded kneeling bench. It was much quieter and no traffic jam at communion. Ann had another spell Sunday morning but by mid-afternoon wanted to get out so I 'phoned Cousin Ann and we drove them out to the country, and back--a little longer trip than I had anticipated, taking from 4:30 till 7.

I'm glad to get the film, Andrew, and I will send more. I got off a few more flash bulbs, John, and Ann said noontime we have a letter from you about color film. I took several of our transparencies to Eastman and will have prints in 10 days or rather, this week, I hope. I will get your roll of indoor color off by Wednesday as Ann took care of opening the bank accounts last week and your 80 came last Saturday Andrew with John's 40 and regular bond so she is planning to go to the bank again today, the last of Arlene' s holidays.

Saturday evening I saw part of Show of Shows and we voted for the Hit Parade in favor of Michael Wilding. Stevie cryed during No. l - Wheel of Fortune - and I went in with him and laid on Mike's bed till he quieted down. But I didn't plan on falling asleep until 1 a.m. when Ann was putting the finishing touches on the Easter buckets.

Ann looked snazzy (as Kathy says) in her bought-for-the-wedding Easter suit and the kids were equally dressed up in hand me downs and Penny-Wise specials; not a new piece on the 3 little ones but they looked darn good thanks to Ann.

During the ride yesterday, the radio was on a series of popular recordings. Twice Kathy predicted her favorite, Blue Tango, and was wrong. A few minutes later the fellow announced "Blue Tango" and Kathy popped up with "That's for me". She's something. She'd give me her last piece of gum if only she didn't swallow every darn stick she finds. I'm still "Dadney".

Of all things, I forgot to bring the Times and Sun movie sections with me this morning. They usually lay on the porch for several days but with Arlene home, she burned all the papers bright and early before I talked with Ann noontime. I'm sorry and will try to fill in with a few weekly editions and maybe Variety, if I can get it.


END OF LETTER

Editor's notes:

Mrs B. is Charles employer - Dr. and Mrs. Burton. They own farms and houses in Long Green Valley. They have promised the use of one house to Charles.
Abe is Charles' lifelong friend.
Virginia is a relative.

Some of the Filmography links and data courtesy of The Internet Movie Database.

Next posting: April 22, 1952

Copyright 2012 Stephen A Conner

No comments: