Monday, May 28, 2012

House For Sale And A May Procession

May 28, 1952

Dear Andrew and John,

I posted a letter to each of you today with some movie and show news together with notes that I would get a real letter off tomorrow. I have a few minutes left while I'm waiting for Abe and I will start this but probably won't finish till the morning.

We have received three or four letters from you this past week; your description, Andrew, of the bug protection was a surprise and John's May, 1952, autobiography arrived just yesterday.

Last Friday Ann and I laughed at another example of our simultaneous mental telegraphy. While talking with her at noontime on that day I had in mind to consult Schatz about the house but thought I would surprise her, make the appointment for Saturday and then tell her then. So, I 'phoned Schatz Bros. at 12:30 and made an appointment for that same time on Saturday. When I got home Friday I found that Ann had called them at 12:45 and they had been down to look the house over. We both felt a little dumb about the two calls but I kept 12:30 meeting Saturday, up at their office next to Easton's on Frederick Avenue. We discussed you, Gran and the family for two generations back before settling down to business. I told them of the assets and the growing liabilities of the place and finally took their suggestion of an asking price of $9,000 plus a ground rent. Their fee is 5%. Naturally, if any more can be gotten they will dicker for it but let's hope we don't have to think about anything less. I signed up, then hurried home and went to work on the cellar, sweeping, sealing off the drain and polishing up the pipes a bit because, when dry, the heating system is something we have to be proud of. We got through this winter on $230 worth of oil but I believe if someone puts asbestos shingles on, the added insulation will show a lot of difference.

I went out Sunday morning to bring the car over for Mommie as it was raining lightly and found our first really flat tire. We made it to the corner slowly but I was afraid to take it any farther and Ann went on from there. Filled it with air at Esso and it held while Arlene and I made trips to 8:00 (I went down in the hall as it was First Communion in church) and 9:00 respectively. But I saw it was losing air and took it back to Esso where the fellow found a small carpet tack. I still don't see how they can put your spare on, remove the tube from the leaking tire, vulcanize it, put it back together and in the rear of the car for only 75¢ and I think it's the one bargain in auto repairs today, until somebody realizes it. We had the car back by one o'clock and at three we dressed the kids (Kathy was a doll in a new blue dress Ann made), gave them each a bouquet and went to the May procession. Kathy and Mike didn't want to march but Stevie was everywhere, mostly between people's legs. We talked with Winnie a little while - she was alone - and she looks swell. There must have been 2,500 there; they couldn't find room for the cars and the crowning of the Blessed Mother was held on the sister's lawn - nothing in church. We left before it was over and rode down as far as Cousin Ann's but only Cousin Claire was there as they, too, had the same festivities up church. The sun had come out and it shot up to almost 90°.

END OF LETTER

Editor's Notes
Abe Scop is a lifelong friend of Charles.
Mr. Schatz is a neighborhood realtor.
Easton's is a Funeral Home.
Cousin Anna and Claire are sisters.

Next Posting: May 29, 1952

Copyright 2012 Stephen A Conner

No comments: