Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Roses And Penicillin



Thursday, May 15th a.m.

Dear Andrew and John,

First of all, I want to tell you how tickled Ann was and is with the roses. She'll write you herself but hasn't been feeling so well again but more of that later. On the telephone Monday noontime she was going through one of her headache-depression periods (I think fooling with Mike she forgot to take her iron tablets over last weekend). Then, later in the afternoon (I worked Monday as usual) she told me your notes and 21 red roses had come. They were beautiful big tight buds when I saw them late Monday night which opened on Tuesday and this morning are still going strong with not a fallen leaf or rather petal. I was glad because that was the only thing she received on Monday, on her birthday. She did get a card yesterday from Jerry, of Len and Jerry, out Oregon way. I had a chance last week to sell my Stenotype machine so I jumped at it and gave the proceeds to Mommie, all of $25, with which she got a dress, shoes, hat and slip. Stevie stands under the roses with one arm and finger pointed and gives with his Tarzan call.

Now to Stevie; Dr. Gallager told Ann last week not to worry about the others, that Mike's ear condition was not contagious. All day Monday Stephen was very irritable and neither he nor I got more than ten minutes sleep at one time Tuesday night. We thought he had gas but couldn't relieve him. He was exhausted by yesterday morning and seemed to be a little woosy. As soon as I got in to work Ann 'phoned to say he had a 102° temperature at 5:30 so she called the Doctor right away. I checked with her later and with Mike not quite himself and her nervousness I thought it best to leave the office about 11:30 and got home just after Dr. Gallager had left. He had clocked Stevie's temperature at 104° and rammed him with penicillin in his little butt, prescribing more tablets like Mike took and pronounced it a coincidence, but the same thing Mike had. He also OK'd Mike to go out and took a look at Kathy's head. So the rest of the day passed pretty smoothly. The medicine took over late in the evening and Stevie awoke only once during the night.

So this is the reason for the delay in the footprints and Ann's correspondence but she says to hang on.

END OF LETTER

Next Posting: May 19, 1952

Copyright 2012 Stephen A Conner

No comments: