Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Trip to Hydes and No Room in the Bed



Friday, October 17, 1952

Dear Andrew and John,

We've been having such beautiful weather, it must be due for a change. Each day the paper has predicted rain or cold and it has continued to warm up in the morning and today is another in the seventies. The warmth of the ground and the condensation has caused early fog, though, and wait till you see it. Coming in toward town or rather until you hit the road to Towson there are several mile stretches where you couldn't see one car length in front or behind. But you only find this during the fall or spring or perhaps some warmer winter weather. Did you notice the flowers advertised on the back of the Times movie section of last week; to bloom from November to March.

If this weather and our health holds out, we plan on getting Cousin Anna and Cousin Claire Sunday for the afternoon. I haven't called them and don't intend to until Sunday to see how things turn out. We did get a 'phone call at home from Cousin Claire on Wednesday just to see how things were. I haven't talked with Cousin Anna since week before last.

Annie Clapsaddle called me here at the office to say they were back from Texas. Does not intend to call out home any more since they charged her 75¢ for the last call. They brought Earl's mother back with them and Earl does not know whether he is going back to Bridgeport, Conn. to work or perhaps somewhere in Canada.

It was such a nice day Wednesday, that Ann took the kids for a walk to the Hydes Post Office, which is where the Ma and Pa Railroad crosses Hydes Road on the map. I paced it off with the car and it comes to 7/10 of a mile so it isn't too far but they got a ride back with the postman which didn't hurt any. I believe I have already told you that Peterson's said they open at 7:30 and close around 9:30. I asked the feller at the Post Office-general store for his hours and he called to the back room, "Hey, Ma, what time would you say we close up evenings?" She yelled back, "Oh, about midnight". So there you are. You never have to worry about running out of anything with him that close. Suprisingly enough his things are fresh though they do cost a penny or two more. Ann and I laughed at his window decoration-several boxes of Kotex piled atop five or six shotguns and dozens of packages of shells.

I find I haven't another darn thing to tell you. The little ones are still sleeping beautifully from about 7 or 8 p.m. till 1 a.m. Then we start playing checkers: in comes Mike to our bed. Kathy can climb over her lowered sides and she will appear next or Stevie will use one of his three words and call me. I can't fit any more so I go in the other room to Michael's bed. Or if Stevie and Kathy monopolize our bed I take to the couch. When it gets colder I'm going to protest.

I'll get another out on Monday but just like you to hear from us. Ann says she'll talk your ears off when you get home.

END OF LETTER

Editor's notes:
Ann Clapsaddle is Ann's friend from high school.

Next Posting: October 20, 1952

Copyright 2012 Stephen A Conner

No comments: