Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Uncle Andy Visits Too Soon



Friday, August 29

Dear Andrew and John,

I just finished reading your letter of the 23rd, Andrew, and the copies of the letters, and had to drop you my two cents worth. I think you're absolutely right and I hope you agree with me, John. If I can do anything further or if anything seems to develop from it unfavorable to you, I'm going to send these copies to Congressman Fallon from here in Baltimore. I mention him because he was instrumental in having Willis Jones, Mr. Hahn's son-in-law, held in this country for a few weeks and not sent over your way because he only lacked that much time to pull him within the six month period for discharge. He was in the North African and Italian campaigns and had been taken in again under the reserves but he was still subject to go over and several of his buddies did. Just a letter to this Fallon started it off and I wrote all of the following correspondence for Mr. Hahn so I know the fellow worked hard on it. I'm glad this happened in your last months and not the first over there and I hope that they can't make it too unpleasant for you, but if the going gets rough, just think about our front living room which I'm saving as a surprise for you. There's no open fireplace but enough other things to make up for it; a nice sized bathroom and plenty of hot water for showers and baths.

I think I forgot to mention that when we were at the house on Sunday, the day before we moved, I had to go out to Doctor's car to get a blanket, when I heard a car horn and looked up to find Aunt Helen and Uncle Andy. I had tried to call them four times the previous week to say we hadn't moved but couldn't get anyone. Also, I couldn't invite them in and have called twice on Wednesday and yesterday and once today but can't reach them. I dropped Mrs. McDonald a line today and included a rough map of our location. She asked me to do this on Monday when I said good-bye as Sarah is living in the Dulaney Apartments just past Towson and she might bring Mrs. Mac over sometime. Had to go downtown this noontime and told Aunt Hannah we were getting settled and she said she had heard from you. Might be a couple of weeks before we can have her out but we'll work on that.

No word from Schatz about the settlement so well have to throw in a few prayers for that along with those for you. Arlene goes to school next Tuesday. Last night a fourteen year old named Ann Woodward came by to introduce herself to Arlene. She lives down the road about as far as the Morsberger's on Bloomsbury and will be going to Towson High School in another week; which is two blocks away from Towson Catholic.

Ann has a letter for you waiting for my postage. More next Tuesday, after Labor Day.

END OF LETTER

Editor's Notes:
Mrs. MacDonald was a neighbor in Catonsville.
Mr. Hahn also works for the Burtons.

Next Posting: September 2, 1952

Copyright 2012 Stephen A Conner

No comments: